Monday, January 17, 2011

No Smoking While Reading

I'm serious, it could be dangerous. You might get cancer.

I'm really glad I'm traveling. Over the holidays most people tend to gain weight. That was a problem I've avoided until this 25th Christmas when the pounds were slowly gaining on me. My weight loss plan is to backpack across Europe. It seems to be working.

Ireland seems to have a...not populated feel to it. And that is true. On the entire island there are six million people. They consider Dublin to be a big city, which it is to an extent. But when you've been to places like Seattle, San Francisco, New York and Atlanta, it's almost laughable. To put it in perspective, New York City has more people, than there are inhabitants on the entire island of Ireland. And there is a feel of everyone knows everyone. Dubliners don't really know each other. They have the same rate as every other person who lives in a big city. They're on there way to some place, don't bother them, but a quick question isn't too troublesome if you need help.

But in areas like Donegal County, they won't just tell you directions, they'll stick you in their car and take you there. And I get the sense that everyone knows everyone to the point that you might be talking politics and they'll say, "Yeah, I know the Prime Minister of Ireland. He's an arsehole." And they'll say that not because they disagree with his politics, but because they actually know him. That hasn't happened, but it's more imaginable here, than any other place I've been.

I heard Ricky Gervais was maybe a little too crude on The Golden Globes. First off, a lot of those jokes were really funny. Secondly, Hollywood needs a little jab now and again, and they always get pissed off when they get one. They're not above everyone else. They make mistakes. Charlie Sheen gets drunk and beats women. Who's denying that besides Charlie Sheen? And has anyone really seen The Tourist? I haven't, and my excuse is not because I'm in Europe. I heard it sucks. I'm not intrigued. And the one about the computer generation on the Sex and the City actresses on the poster? Gold!

Just because a comedian shows he has true talent does not mean everyone needs to get all up in arms. Lighten up, Hollywood. You are constantly on stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment