Monday, April 12, 2010

Shea Butter is Good on Toast

For those of you who know I have a wedding coming up, the planning is coming along nicely and a glue stick has been purchased. For reasons I wont go into, I had to buy a glue stick. First I was astounded at the lack of options I had to buy just one glue stick. Everything comes in three, five or forty packs now. I also had to decide between brands. For myself, I'm a brand guy. I'm going to buy Heinz ketchup and not the generic. I prefer Oroweat over Franz and Kitchen Aid over Whirlpool or Sunbeam. Is there a difference between each of these? In some cases, probably not, in others, most likely, yes.

Anyhow, back to the glue sticks. I remember as a child using elmers. I don't know why it was always elmers. I think I remember seeing on the "items for school" list the district mailed out every year "Elmers Glue." It was interesting how they used the brand. Like the public education system had some sort of secret contract with elmers glue. So I look at each of the packs of glue and see what they have to say for themselves. The Avery brand said it was "acid free". As I don't recall any horrific acid incidents ever occurring to anyone from a glue stick, I think that one is bogus. The Scotch brand said it wouldn't wrinkle paper. As it was paper I needed to glue, that was relevant. I also recall using glue sticks in the past and the paper would wrinkle up on me. I never appreciated that. Congratulations Scotch, you just won a sale. I also prefer your tape. Hopefully your reputation in putting things back together in my life will stay strong, just like your tape. Zing!

That "acid free" thing on the Avery glue kind of stuck with me, though. I wonder if it has any credit to saying that, or if it's just some fancy term most people will be sold on. I wonder if I could create a product and put fancy terms on it to sell to people. I could make a counter top cleaner that says "Lead Free" or a Shampoo that says "Contains Dry Fast ingredients!"

I heard a study this past week that says eating cheese a half hour before bed time will increase your chances of having more lucid dreams. I tried this out. Cheddar cheese definitely made me dream more and remember them more easily, nothing of note of what happened in the dreams. Parmesan cheese was different. It was a disturbing dream, one that I hope won't occur again. So if you want to dream tonight, at least 2/3 of an ounce of cheese 30 minutes before bed time should do the trick.

3 comments:

  1. http://www.xkcd.com/641/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time I see you I will be glad to explain the whole acid free glue situation. Yes there is a need. Now I will eat my cheese and go to bed. Sweet dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Acid-free is important for things staying in good condition. It's not uncommon for glues to contain acid, and it is harmful for the long-term archiving of things. It can also be harmful to pictures, if you were gluing those (say for a scrapbook). So, yeah, it's a claim that actually does matter.

    Though, certainly, a lot of those type of claims are totally bogus.

    --Eve

    ReplyDelete