Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Burn of Salt

I guess it's a pretty popular thing now to go up on stage and interrupt someone's acceptance speech in what is maybe that person's happiest moment.

I'm not quite sure when everyone hopped on board the asshole train in this country, but count me out because I am a human being. I have respect for other people and the more I look around, the less of that there seems to be.

If Taylor Swift had punched Kanye West in the balls, I don't think anyone would've minded, except for Kanye. And now this has spread to the Academy Awards. I assume it won't be long before making an acceptance speech is the last thing anyone wants to do because of inconsiderate people lurking in the shadows, waiting for that perfect moment to jump in. Hell, I bet It'll be the focus of some new reality show.

I consider myself to be a decent person. I have my faults, but who doesn't, right? Yet, despite my outward kindness towards others upon a first meeting, and subsequent meetings if applicable, it seems I'm always left disappointed. A good, solid, and perhaps, long lasting friendship starts to form, good times are shared and eventually I end up left behind. If I went wrong, apparently I'm not self reflective enough to see where. I'm not all that social of a person. It's rather difficult for me to find someone I really enjoy hanging out with. Yet I do like to hang out with people, but it seems to be such a rare event in my life. And it seems to be a recurring theme that people that I've chosen to hang with, eventually decide they have something better to do, and I'm left with my thumb up my ass. If I was flaky, like never showing up, I would understand. If my temper flew off randomly when I'm in public, I would understand. And if I never talked or said entertaining things I might understand. But I do my best to show up, engage in the conversation and though I have a temper, it usually shows up in the privacy of my home, not where others can see it.

I used to wonder why precisely I never hung out with people. Now it seems that I don't want be left in the dust again. It's rude to cancel for arbitrary reasons, or say you've made plans for the same time after we discussed our plans together. If you don't want to hang out, just say so, it's less painful and my time won't be wasted.

All I want is a reliable friend...

3 comments:

  1. She was apparently the producer of the film. I found this link interesting. It gives a little more background info, and the incident made more sense to me, after I watched the clip at the top.

    http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/03/09/oscar.speech.interrupted/?hpt=T2

    --Shelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you move to North Carolina I think you would have several reliable friends.

    - Infinite Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Second the move to North Carolina (Whoop!!)

    ~Andrea

    ReplyDelete