Monday, June 28, 2010

I Pronounce This Rodent Dead

I killed a bunny yesterday. Not that I meant to, the dumb bunny ran underneath the tire of my car, which is inadvisable to do at 30mph. The sad part is I didn't even swerve to avoid him. I typically don't swerve when I see small animals in the road. First because swerving is dangerous, and second I think the animal has more of a chance to live if I don't swerve. A car's path is usually pretty easy to predict for just about any creature. They usually go along those hard black surfaces at incredible rates, but rarely is any swerving involved. I figure if an animal is dumb enough to run in front of me, then surely they should know where my tires are, and they will continue on their present course along the road. I did just that and this rabbit exploded. I didn't just clip him or anything. It was right over the top of him. Survival of the fittest now includes cognition on the paths of large inanimate objects.

I've been trying to find which vows to use for our wedding. We're not writing our own, fortunately. We hope to find some pre-written words that jumble together to form some sappy sentiments. This will save us from the embarrassment by admitting we wrote them. My primary plan of attack is to find a nice platform to start from and tweak it slightly from there. I'm surprised at how vows are generally unoriginal. Sure, the traditional is nice, but I'm not sure about the words "till death do you part." For those who believe in the afterlife, these words make it sound like the beloved couple will not be reunited after they both die. Is this the church's attempt to let everyone know it's okay to fall in love with someone else, as long as you're dead? Love, cherish, honor and obey are all fine, but drastically overused. As someone who writes on a weekly basis, I strive to use unconventional words for something as a wedding and phrase things in the less traditional sense.

I was thinking how it would be funny to model the vows after movie speeches. You know like "You may take my heart, but you will never take my freedom." I'm not really sure how that one would go over though. In fact, of all the ones I thought, they either don't make sense, or may not go over well.

I also think there are too many vows regarding religion. I know that's the institution that has supported marriage the most for the last 1500 years or so, but some of them make it sound like the people are going to pay more attention to God than they are to each other. What a boring life that must have been.

6 comments:

  1. Matthew,

    My wife (before I lost her) and I composed our own vows, and our wedding was very happy for the short time it existed.

    A few short thoughts:

    Many people believe that the wedding vows are the most personal and unique part of the wedding and are the foundation upon which the marriage lies.

    I assume your ceremony will be short, between 30 and 60 minutes. Why would you include "pre-written words that jumble together to form sappy sentiments" in any part of your ceremony? If that is how you feel, why have vows?

    If you are recycling vows, isn't originality what you are trying to avoid? Which is suprising, as you are a writer...

    RK M.D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RK,

    No words can express the way I feel for my fiance. We're having vows simply because that is what is done, as tradition is. As no words can describe the way I feel anything that has been written is numb next to my feelings. And the ceremony is probably only 20-30 minutes.

    mathiascurlinus

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a similar issue with my ex-wife, Cheryl, when she read me a draft of her renewed wedding vows. It went something like this:

    Cheryl: "We'll love each other throughout this lifetime, but after death through all eternity."
    Me: You mean this is...this is continuing into the afterlife?
    Cheryl: Yeah, that's the idea. Do you have a problem with that?
    Me: Well, I... I thought this was over at death. I didn't know we went into eternity together. Isn't that what it said in... ”'til death do us part, " I thought it was...
    Cheryl: Do you have a problem with eternity?
    Me: Well...
    Cheryl: We finally found each other, [redacted], and we're celebrating this for all eternity.
    Me: I guess I had a different plan for eternity. I thought... I thought I'd be single again.

    LD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is "obey" really okay? What if either of you has a bizarre sexual request, wants to jointly join a cult, or is the dominant one in the relationship and knows the other will blindly follow? Just sayin'.

    Helga, the mustachioed femanazi

    ReplyDelete
  5. What would be embarassing about admitting you wrote your own vows? I know a man, a smart man, but nonetheless a man who often convincingly speaks without a lot of knowledge in his head, and this man said, "What else can you say than 'I'll take you for better or worse, richer or poorer, til death do us part?'" Well, that man went to a wedding recently and found out just what can be said that digs a little deeper and means a whole lot more.

    I think you should look into your heart a little and whatever you find there - whether it be strange, unique, trite, or amazing - and speak from there. The vows are what people will hold you to if the relationship goes rocky. They are what you will hold each other to.

    Further, I'm guessing you've invited tens of people to attend your wedding. These people want a show. They want to see the love, feel a part of it and selling out on the vows is kind of the same as just going off to Vegas and pounding out a marriage certificate with Elvis as your witness. Give the people something to celebrate. As I socialized (drunkenly) at this recent wedding I attended I overheard several people remark on how special the vows were. How amazing they were. That's what a lot of the guests were looking for and looking forward to.

    I'll leave you with a quote from one of my favorite Bruce Springsteen songs, "The River"

    And we went down to the courthouse
    And the judge put it all to rest
    No wedding day smiles, no walk down the aisles
    No flowers, no wedding dress

    You may have the flowers, and you may have the wedding dress, but you ought to put some effort into those vows. You owe it to yourself and your blushing bride.

    Signed, Ivy Chaser

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a bunny. My name is Nicholas. I live in a hollow tree. Please avoid me if at all possible. This may include, but is not limited to:

    1) Hitting a hollow tree with your car.
    2) Using a chain saw to anhiliate me in my hollow tree ala the famous "Tales From the Crypt" episode staring the irresistable Michele Johnson.
    3) Fishing around in my hollow hole for me, then tying me up, then repeatedly driving over me to see how long I take to explode.
    4) Catching me in a briar patch and then making bunny stew out of me, ala Glenn Close in "Fatal Attraction."
    5) Capturing me and amputating my feet for quadruple good luck in aid of writing your vows.
    6) Depositing me in a vat of acid, ala "Robocop" to teach me a lesson about crossing roads.
    7) Mistaking me for a gopher and flooding my hollow hole, or any hole I may be in, just to pay me back for being in/creating holes, ala "Caddyshack."

    Regards, Nicholas Bunny

    ReplyDelete